A small description

Make the best out of your PC. Here you can find some nice, useful tips and tricks that can be used to tame your PC. I hope you will find the tricks posted here useful. I have made the language as simple as possible so that it can be understood even by a noob. If you have any queries or want help feel free to question, I will try to shelp you out. If you have any good trick that you want to share with us, please tell us. Your suggetions/comments are always invited.

Google translate

December 30, 2008

Remove read-only from all files in a folder

After copying a bunch of files to your Windows PC from a CD or DVD, you may discover that all the copied files carry the read-only flag. The most obvious way to remove the read-only flag from a file is to right-click on its icon, choose “Properties”, and uncheck the “Read-only” box. But what if you have hundreds, or even thousands of files marked read-only?

You can remove these read-only flag from multiple files using the attrib command from a command prompt. The Windows Command Line site has a tutorial on commands everyone can use, which includes an explanation of performing this task with the attrib command. The section on the attrib command is titled “Changing file attributes with ‘attrib’”, and is located about three quarters of the way down the page.

In short, first open the command prompt, press Ctrl+R and in the run box type cmd and enter. Navigate to their folder from a command prompt and type attrib -r ./*.* /s. For example if you want to do that for images, type this: attrib -r ./*.jpg /s.

2 comments:

Larry Hertzler said...

I cant get to the command prompt. I am using windows ME. I found the dos link in the windows root. it justtakes me to the windows command prompt. i would have to press F8 on a reboot to get to Dos. I am not too experienced to find the files. what is the exact phrase I key into the command prompt if i want to clear out C:\My Documents\My Pictures ?

Himanshu said...

say, your command prompt is showing

C:\My Documents\My Pictures

and now if you type 'cd..' and press enter, it will go to the upper folder. So, the result would be

C:\My Documents

so repeat the same step to go to C:\ folder

If you have any problem feel free to comment or you can also visit the command prompt basics http://pc3ts.blogspot.com/2008/12/basics-to-command-prompt.html